We Are Those Who Have Died to Sin, Not Antinomians

We Are Those Who Have Died to Sin, Not Antinomians We%2BAre%2BThose%2BWho%2BHave%2BDied%2Bto%2BSin%252C%2BNot%2BAntinomians

Posted: 29 Jun 2017 04:47 PM PDT
Sometimes I hear professing Christians share antinomian beliefs - a heresy that's been around since the early church.

Antinomians believe that since we're saved by grace, it doesn’t matter if we obey God’s moral laws.  

Jesus rebuked this belief: "If you love me, keep my commands” (John 14:1).

Paul rebuked this belief: "We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?" (Romans 6:1-2).

We're saved by grace for a purpose - to become like Christ, devoting ourselves to purity, love and good works (Ephesians 2:10; Philippians 2:12-13; Titus 1:1; Hebrews 13).

Christ fulfilled the ceremonial laws on the cross.* But moral laws are still valid, necessary, loving, and life-changing.  Jesus made that clear:

"Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:19
------------------------
*If you are confused by the ceremonial and dietary laws in the Old Testament, this series of short articles explains why we no longer follow them: Old Testament Law.

We Are Those Who Have Died to Sin, Not Antinomians We%2BAre%2BThose%2BWho%2BHave%2BDied%2Bto%2BSin

You are subscribed to email updates from 1-Minute Bible Love Notes.
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. Email delivery powered by Google