God's Way Christian Fellowship Forum
Gods Way Christian Forum. A place to be 'refreshed and built up in the Lord Jesus'. Where Christian 'Believers' can fellowship together to talk, discuss, enjoy, pray for others and give testimonies, chat. For Christian adults and unbelievers seeking salvation and encouragements found in the word of God.
Gods Way Christian Fellowship Forum (GWCFF) is only for adults and mature,young and teen christians.
Gods Way Christian Forum. A place to be 'refreshed and built up in the Lord Jesus'. Where Christian 'Believers' can fellowship together to talk, discuss, enjoy, pray for others and give testimonies, chat. For Christian adults and unbelievers seeking salvation and encouragements found in the word of God.
Gods Way Christian Fellowship Forum (GWCFF) is only for adults and mature,young and teen christians.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

God's Way Christian Forum. A place to be 'refreshed and built up in the Lord Jesus'. Where Christian 'Believers' can fellowship together to talk, discuss, enjoy, pray for others and give testimonies, chat.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Search Bible Gateway
Lookup a word or passage in the Bible

BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
Latest topics
»  How To Be Filled With The Holy Spirit With The Evidence Of Speaking In Tongues.
Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God EmptyThu Oct 28, 2021 8:37 pm by Camille

» The Lord is faithful and He will do what He has promised to do.
Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God EmptySun May 31, 2020 3:48 pm by Ingrid's Memory

»  Even the struggles that are hidden in our hearts are open and visible to Him.
Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God EmptySat May 30, 2020 3:42 pm by Ingrid's Memory

»  If the Lord knows each star in space. He certainly knows your name.
Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God EmptyFri May 29, 2020 3:25 pm by Ingrid's Memory

» In fact, He goes ahead of us, to make this light and opportunity a reality.
Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God EmptyThu May 28, 2020 3:51 pm by Ingrid's Memory

» HE has got you in His hands, and you can rest in this knowledge.
Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God EmptyWed May 27, 2020 3:40 pm by Ingrid's Memory

» He watches over you, wherever you go.
Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God EmptyTue May 26, 2020 4:34 pm by Ingrid's Memory

» The Lord wants to bless our coming in and our going out.
Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God EmptyMon May 25, 2020 3:07 pm by Ingrid's Memory

» He is YOUR Lord and God, so rest in Him.
Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God EmptySun May 24, 2020 2:46 pm by Ingrid's Memory

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
No user
Most active topic starters
Camille
Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God Vote_lcapNoted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God Voting_barNoted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God Vote_rcap 
Ingrid's Memory
Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God Vote_lcapNoted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God Voting_barNoted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God Vote_rcap 
Godslove17
clark thompson
kellyniles
Angel Bells
Admin
newnature
WhiteHorse79
TheKanonHara
Do God's Work and all Your Needs will be Met
Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God EmptyFri May 23, 2014 12:22 am by Camille
God always provides for our needs according to His riches in glory through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:19

As long as we are doing the work of the Lord God will always meet our needs. As long as we are pointing others to God, He will always see that you have plenty.

Do the work of the Lord share what you know from the bible and share your testimony of how you were healed or set free and God …

Comments: 2
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of God's Way Christian Fellowship Forum on your social bookmarking website
Similar topics
Most Viewed Topics
HOW DEMONIC SPIRITS ATTACK PROPHETS
Gods Way Christian Fellowship Forum
Do God's Work and all Your Needs will be Met
Prayers for you from a man of God on YouTube Apostle Tim
The Armour of God - My Daily Strength in The Lord
More Salvation Prayers
Love Is Patient, Love Is Kind 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
What Occurs When You Plead The Blood of Jesus-Pst.D.K Olukoya
23 Declarations To Help Defeat Strongholds Of The Mind By Rebecca Greenwood
Prophecy: Donald Trump Shall Become the Trumpet by JEREMIAH JOHNSON
Most active topics
Using the Pulpit In Other Church Areas
Gods Way Christian Fellowship Forum
God's Way Poem written by a member
The Holy Spirit: Author of Scripture
Friend Erica
The Cleaning Woman
Please pray for these Kids to be found alive
Pray for my Uncle Hank
Rules from God
What does the Lords Prayer mean ?

Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Camille
Admin
Admin
Camille

Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God Empty
PostSubject: Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God   Noted geneticist turned from atheism to faith after trying to disprove God EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 1:42 am

March 31, 2015

By Michael Ashcraft and Mark Ellis
Francis S. Collins

The current head of the National Institutes of Health, Francis S. Collins, came to faith after he set out to disprove God.

“I had always assumed that faith was based on purely emotional and irrational arguments and was astounded to discover that one could build a very strong case for the plausibility of God,” he noted on CNN. “My earlier atheist’s assertion that ‘I know there is no God’ emerged as the least defensible.”

A geneticist, Collins was appointed director of the $3 billion international Genome Project in 1993, which completed sequencing the 3.3 billion pairs of nucleotides by 2004. The resulting gene map offers hope to cure genetic disorders.

It also gave Collins a spectacular view into the magnificence, order, and finely-tune perfection of the DNA molecule, God’s software for every living thing. Directorship of the Genome Project was touted as the most prestigious job in science at the time.

“At the most fundamental level, it’s a miracle that there’s a universe at all,” he told National Geographic. “It’s a miracle that allows the possibility of complexity and laws that follow precise mathematical formulas. Contemplating this, an open-minded observer is almost forced to conclude that there must be a ‘must’ behind all this. To me, that qualifies as a miracle, a profound truth that lies outside of scientific explanation.”

scientists who believe in GodHe compiled his thoughts in a 2006 book, The Language of God, which posits that biology, astrophysics and psychology all argue in favor of faith in God. During the following year, he founded BioLogos, an organization that brings together scientists who wish to pursue science and faith in a cohesive unity.

“Science and faith can actually be mutually enriching and complementary once their proper domains are understood and respected,” he says. “There are some really important questions that science cannot really answer, such as, why is there something instead of nothing? Why are we here?

“In those domains, I have found that faith provides a better path to answers.”

Of particular importance to his faith is the concept of “moral law” – the denunciation of oppression, murder, treachery, falsehood and the injunction of kindness to the aged, the young, the weak and helpless, to paraphrase C.S. Lewis.

“After 28 years as a believer, the Moral Law stands out for me as the strongest signpost of God,” he writes in his book.

National Institutes of Health directorCollins grew up in a family of agnostics in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley. By the time he graduated medical school, he described himself as a full-fledged atheist. But then a patient queried him about his own faith. Prodded thus, he decided to research the point and debunk faith.

“When I got to college and was challenged about what my beliefs were, I realized I had no idea what they were,” he told PBS. “I listened to others make an argument that religion and beliefs were basically a superstition, and I began to think — Yeah, that’s probably what I believe, too.”

As a graduate student at Yale, he marveled at how virtually everything in the universe could be described by a “second-order differential equation,” he said.

After obtaining a degree in quantum mechanics, he decided to change paths in life and pursued medicine. As a resident he watched people suffering terminal disease without blaming God. To the contrary, faith seemed to give them strength and, in many cases, improve their symptoms, he said.

“They had terrible diseases from which they were probably not going to escape, and yet instead of railing at God, they seemed to lean on their faith as a source of great comfort and reassurance,” he said. “They weren’t, somehow, perceiving it as the really awful thing that it seemed to me to be. And that was interesting and puzzling and unsettling.

“I had made a decision to reject any faith view of the world without ever really knowing what it was that I had rejected. And that worried me,” he said. “As a scientist, you’re not supposed to make decisions without the data. It was pretty clear I hadn’t done any data collecting here about what these faiths stood for.”

So he turned to C.S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity. As he read, his assumptions about faith in God were shaken. It wasn’t easy or fun reading. It was painful, he said.

“The idea that you would arrive at faith because it made sense, because it was rational, because it was the most appropriate choice when presented with the data, that was a new concept,” he said.

He was 27. After months of wrestling over the question of God, he finally broke down. One day, hiking in the Cascade Mountains, admiring the grandeur of God’s creation, he said “yes” to God.

“I’ve never turned back,” Collins said. “That was the most significant moment in my life.”

At first, sharing his faith wasn’t easy.

“Like most scientists, I had this fear that having accepted something in the way of a spiritual worldview, I would be perceived as having gone just a little bit soft,” he noted. “That this was not compatible with the rigorous ‘show me the data’ attitude that a scientist is supposed to have towards all things.”

But now he’s so open about belief that he’s drawn fire from vocal atheists. Atheist Sam Harris criticized his nomination to head the NIH by President Barak Obama: “Must we really entrust the future of biomedical research in the United States to a man who sincerely believes that a scientific understanding of human nature is impossible?”

Collins assumed the NIH office in 2009. He is 65 as of April. He loves motorcycle riding and playing rock. He’s formed a band of NIH scientists that duels with a band of scientists from John Hopkins University.

In 2005, Collins was named jointly with genome colleague Craig Venter America’s Best Leaders by U.S. News & World Report and the Harvard University Center for Public Leadership.

“I did have a moment where I became a believer,” he told Anderson Cooper. “I had struggled for two years with this debate within myself gradually coming to the conclusion that belief in God was the most plausible of the choices. After many months of struggling whether to make that leap, on a beautiful Fall day hiking in the Northwest, with my mind a little more clear than usual because there were not the usual distractions, I felt like I could no longer resist. I became a believer that day.”

Category: ex-atheist, science, testimonies, Top Featured Tagged: atheism, atheist turned Christian, convert to Christ, former atheist, Francis Collins, genetics prove God, Genome Project, National Institutes of Health, scientists who believe God, Virginia 4 comments
Back to top Go down
http://sowthepower.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 1