God's Way Christian Fellowship Forum
Gods Way Christian Forum. A place to be 'refreshed and built up in the Lord Jesus'. Where Christian 'Believers' can fellowship together to talk, discuss, enjoy, pray for others and give testimonies, chat. For Christian adults and unbelievers seeking salvation and encouragements found in the word of God.
Gods Way Christian Fellowship Forum (GWCFF) is only for adults and mature,young and teen christians.
Gods Way Christian Forum. A place to be 'refreshed and built up in the Lord Jesus'. Where Christian 'Believers' can fellowship together to talk, discuss, enjoy, pray for others and give testimonies, chat. For Christian adults and unbelievers seeking salvation and encouragements found in the word of God.
Gods Way Christian Fellowship Forum (GWCFF) is only for adults and mature,young and teen christians.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

God's Way Christian Forum. A place to be 'refreshed and built up in the Lord Jesus'. Where Christian 'Believers' can fellowship together to talk, discuss, enjoy, pray for others and give testimonies, chat.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Search Bible Gateway
Lookup a word or passage in the Bible

BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
Latest topics
»  How To Be Filled With The Holy Spirit With The Evidence Of Speaking In Tongues.
Peter Raises the Dead EmptyThu Oct 28, 2021 8:37 pm by Camille

» The Lord is faithful and He will do what He has promised to do.
Peter Raises the Dead EmptySun May 31, 2020 3:48 pm by Ingrid's Memory

»  Even the struggles that are hidden in our hearts are open and visible to Him.
Peter Raises the Dead EmptySat May 30, 2020 3:42 pm by Ingrid's Memory

»  If the Lord knows each star in space. He certainly knows your name.
Peter Raises the Dead EmptyFri May 29, 2020 3:25 pm by Ingrid's Memory

» In fact, He goes ahead of us, to make this light and opportunity a reality.
Peter Raises the Dead EmptyThu May 28, 2020 3:51 pm by Ingrid's Memory

» HE has got you in His hands, and you can rest in this knowledge.
Peter Raises the Dead EmptyWed May 27, 2020 3:40 pm by Ingrid's Memory

» He watches over you, wherever you go.
Peter Raises the Dead EmptyTue May 26, 2020 4:34 pm by Ingrid's Memory

» The Lord wants to bless our coming in and our going out.
Peter Raises the Dead EmptyMon May 25, 2020 3:07 pm by Ingrid's Memory

» He is YOUR Lord and God, so rest in Him.
Peter Raises the Dead EmptySun May 24, 2020 2:46 pm by Ingrid's Memory

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
No user
Most active topic starters
Camille
Peter Raises the Dead Vote_lcapPeter Raises the Dead Voting_barPeter Raises the Dead Vote_rcap 
Ingrid's Memory
Peter Raises the Dead Vote_lcapPeter Raises the Dead Voting_barPeter Raises the Dead Vote_rcap 
Godslove17
clark thompson
kellyniles
Angel Bells
Admin
newnature
TheKanonHara
WhiteHorse79
Do God's Work and all Your Needs will be Met
Peter Raises the Dead EmptyFri May 23, 2014 12:22 am by Camille
God always provides for our needs according to His riches in glory through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:19

As long as we are doing the work of the Lord God will always meet our needs. As long as we are pointing others to God, He will always see that you have plenty.

Do the work of the Lord share what you know from the bible and share your testimony of how you were healed or set free and God …

Comments: 2
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of God's Way Christian Fellowship Forum on your social bookmarking website
Similar topics
Most Viewed Topics
HOW DEMONIC SPIRITS ATTACK PROPHETS
Gods Way Christian Fellowship Forum
Do God's Work and all Your Needs will be Met
Prayers for you from a man of God on YouTube Apostle Tim
The Armour of God - My Daily Strength in The Lord
More Salvation Prayers
Love Is Patient, Love Is Kind 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
What Occurs When You Plead The Blood of Jesus-Pst.D.K Olukoya
23 Declarations To Help Defeat Strongholds Of The Mind By Rebecca Greenwood
Prophecy: Donald Trump Shall Become the Trumpet by JEREMIAH JOHNSON
Most active topics
Using the Pulpit In Other Church Areas
Gods Way Christian Fellowship Forum
God's Way Poem written by a member
The Holy Spirit: Author of Scripture
Friend Erica
The Cleaning Woman
Please pray for these Kids to be found alive
Pray for my Uncle Hank
Rules from God
What does the Lords Prayer mean ?

Peter Raises the Dead

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Camille
Admin
Admin
Camille

Peter Raises the Dead Empty
PostSubject: Peter Raises the Dead   Peter Raises the Dead EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Peter Raises the Dead

About the Speaker
Rev. P.G. Mathew
Pastor Mathew holds three graduate degrees in theology from Central and Westminster theological seminaries (USA) and is the founder and senior minister of Grace Valley Christian Center. Originally a scientist from India, he is also a former professor of Gr...
Read More
More Sermons
From the book of
Acts
Complete Sermon Archive
Books by Rev. P. G. Mathew
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services
Acts 9:32-43
P. G. Mathew | Sunday, September 20, 1998
Copyright © 1998, P. G. Mathew

In our study of the book of Acts we have seen the birth and growth of the church as chronicled by Luke the physician. In the first eight chapters we read about the ministry and witness of the apostles, especially that of the chief apostle, Peter. In Acts 9 we learned about Saul of Tarsus, the great enemy of Jesus Christ, who went about breathing out slaughter and threatenings as he sought to destroy the church of Jesus Christ. As he traveled to Damascus to arrest Christians there, Saul was conquered and subdued by the mighty Lord Jesus Christ, the King of kings and the Lord of lords. As a result of Saul's conversion, "the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace," as we read in Acts 9:31.

In Acts 9:32 Luke picks up the activity of Peter again. When we last saw him in Acts 8:25, Peter, along with John, was returning to Jerusalem, having preached the gospel in many Samaritan villages. Acts 9:32 says that Peter was moving west to the partially Gentile territory of the Mediterranean coast of Palestine, specifically to the cities of Lydda and Joppa. Known as Philistine country in earlier times, it was in this area that Samson, empowered by the Holy Spirit, picked up the doors of the city gates of Gaza, lifted them to his shoulders, and carried them up to a hill, thus demonstrating to the Philistines the power of the Spirit of the living God.

Peter was now coming to the same region to demonstrate the power of the gospel to save sinners. Despite the previous times of persecution by Saul and the Jews, the gospel was making steady progress as it spread from Jerusalem to Judea, Samaria, Galilee and beyond. As Jesus Christ said, the gates of hell shall not prevail against the church that he is building. They cannot, because, as Paul says in Romans 1, the gospel is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Gentile. Our adversary Satan is powerless to resist the conquering Christ and the progress of his gospel.

Philip the Evangelist had visited this region before, as we read in Acts 8:40. Now Peter was coming as an apostle, not only to oversee the church and instruct it in the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, but also to evangelize further. In this study, therefore, we will first examine the apostle Simon Peter; second, Peter's ministry in Lydda; and, third, Peter's ministry in Joppa.

Who Was Simon Peter?
When we first read about Peter in the gospel accounts, we notice right away that he was not a strong character. He seemed to be a weak, wishy-washy person by nature. But God has a plan to change his people, so when Peter was brought to the Lord Jesus Christ by his brother Andrew, Jesus told him, "'You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas' (which, when translated, is Peter)," meaning he would become a rock--strong and mighty--through the work of Jesus Christ in his life (John 1:42).

We also know that Peter was a sinner, as he himself acknowledged. When he realized Jesus' role in causing a miraculous number of fish to be caught, Peter told Jesus, "Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man!" Confronted by the glorious manifestation of the power of Jesus Christ, Peter was filled with a profound consciousness of his own sinfulness and of Jesus' divinity. In essence, he was telling Jesus, "Lord, I am too unholy and sinful to be in your presence. Depart from me! I am just nothing." But Jesus didn't leave Peter, because God had ordained that Peter would become a fisher of men, one who would lead many souls to Christ.

Peter also had the distinction of being the only apostle--indeed, the only human being, other than the Lord Jesus Christ--to ever walk on water, as we read in Matthew 14:25-31. And Peter was the apostle who made the good confession that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, when Jesus asked his disciples, "Who do you say that I am?" in Caesarea Philippi. And in Matthew 16:18 Jesus told Peter, " You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church," meaning the church is built upon Peter's confession that Jesus is the Christ, the son of the living God.

Peter was the only disciple we read about who rebuked Jesus for saying he would be crucified, and who received a rebuke from Jesus in return. "Get behind me, Satan!" Jesus told him. It was Peter who also boldly asserted that he would never leave Jesus, even though later that same night he denied him three times. And it was Peter whom Satan wanted to sift like wheat, but we are told in the gospel of Luke that Jesus prayed for him that his faith not fail.

After he rose from the dead, Jesus singled out Peter and spoke to him when he met with the disciples by the Sea of Galilee. No doubt Peter was still remembering how he denied Jesus before his death on the cross. Jesus restored Peter, telling him his sins were forgiven, and then he recommissioned him as an apostle, saying, "Feed my sheep. . . . Feed my lambs."

Like the other apostles, Peter was baptized in the Holy Ghost on the day of Pentecost, and as we read in Acts 1-8, he became a bold witness about the Lord Jesus Christ, especially about his resurrection from the dead. On several occasions Peter declared to the masses and to the Sanhedrin that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the only Lord and Christ, the Prince of life, the Holy One and the Righteous One. He also fearlessly told the Sanhedrin on two occasions, "We must obey God rather than men" when they told him to stop preaching the gospel.

By the time we catch up to Peter in Acts 9:32, we find that through God's working in his life, he was now a true rock of a man. Enabled by the might of our Lord, Peter was now ready to be beaten and maltreated, to spend and be spent, to suffer and to be killed, all for the sake of his master, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus had commissioned Peter and the other apostles to go and preach the gospel beyond Jerusalem. So in Acts 9:32 we read, "As Peter traveled about the country," meaning he left Jerusalem and began to go about, preaching the gospel. In the Greek it says, "He was traveling through all," meaning through all the territories. Eventually, Peter came to Lydda, where he visited with the church there.

Peter's Ministry in Lydda
The ancient town of Lydda is about twenty-five miles west of Jerusalem and about ten miles southeast of Joppa. If you have ever traveled to Israel you have probably been to Lydda because the airport at Tel Aviv is located in Lydda. In the Old Testament Lydda was known as Lod. It is now a suburb of Tel Aviv.

Acts 9:32 tells us Peter "went to visit the saints in Lydda." In those days believers were called by several names, such as disciples and believers, and here we find another word: saints. The moment you put your trust in Jesus Christ alone for salvation, you are a saint.

We find this word "saint" appearing in verses 13, 32, and 41 of Acts 9. The root word for "saint" means "different." Believers are different from unbelievers in that they have new hearts, new minds, new affections, new wills, new purposes, new goals and new philosophies. Saints are new creations; the old is gone and the new has come, as we read in 2 Corinthians 5:17.

Saints are those who have turned from idols to worship and serve the true and living God. They are, as Jesus said, the light of the world and the salt of the earth. They are holy because they have been saved from sin by their Savior, Jesus Christ. Ruled and indwelt by the Holy Spirit, their minds are suffused with the knowledge of God's word and they love God.

The saints of Lydda may have been Hellenistic Jewish Christians who left Jerusalem because of persecution and traveled west until they reached Lydda. Or they may have been people who came to know the Lord Jesus Christ through the ministry of Philip the Evangelist. However they came to know Christ, it was to these saints Peter came as Christ's apostle to Lydda. As we said before, he came not only to oversee the church, exercise authority over it, and teach apostolic doctrine to it, but also to evangelize.

The Miraculous Healing of Aeneas
Verse 33 tells us Peter found a man named Aeneas in Lydda. We are not sure whether Aeneas was a believer or not, but we do know that the apostle Peter was ready to bring the love of Christ to this miserable man. Paralyzed for eight years, Aeneas was helpless, unable to do anything, totally dependent on others. I am sure he felt hopeless, thinking that no one could ever heal him. But the Lord Jesus Christ was searching for Aeneas. Through the apostle Peter, Jesus would manifest his glory by performing a miracle for this miserable, paralyzed, bedridden soul, Aeneas of Lydda.

Although Aeneas was helpless and could not go anywhere, Peter found him. Peter was not an inaccessible, limousine-type preacher. He heard of Aeneas and gladly went to his home. Why? Because Peter was a representative of his Master, Jesus Christ, who was interested in Aeneas' plight. I am sure Peter remembered how Jesus came to Peter's home to heal his mother-in-law.

Peter entered Aeneas' house and spoke to him. "Aeneas," he said, " Jesus Christ heals you," meaning "Jesus Christ heals you right now." Peter was not claiming to heal Aeneas himself. No, he was pointing Aeneas to Jesus Christ, the true healer. In essence, Peter was saying, to Aeneas, "Jesus Christ is healing you, Aeneas. This same Jesus who died recently and was buried; this same Jesus who rose again on the third day according to the Scriptures; this same Jesus who appeared to us many times and taught us the kingdom of God; this same Jesus, who ascended into the heavens and is seated on the right hand of God the Father; this same Jesus who is the Sovereign Lord of the universe; this same Jesus who poured out his Holy Spirit upon us; this same Jesus who commissioned me to feed his sheep and lambs; this same Jesus who told me to go and make disciples of all nations--this same Jesus who is the Savior of the world, is healing you, Mr. Aeneas--right now! Aeneas, have you heard about a forty-year-old congenital cripple who was healed in Jerusalem not long ago? I told him, 'Silver and gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.' By the might and power of Jesus of Nazareth this man was able to rise up, walk, leap and praise God. In the same way, Mr. Aeneas, this Jesus Christ heals you!"

That is still the story today, isn't it? Even today I must say to you: Jesus Christ heals you. So, arise, and take care of yourself! Be useful and helpful. All these years people have taken care of you, but now, arise and do your work! Serve God and his people! Live for God by his might and by his power!"

Peter was telling Aeneas, "Aeneas, the Lord Jesus Christ is in heaven, but he rules the universe and is involved in your life right now. He is far from us, but not so far that he cannot help or heal you. He is so near to you, and let me say, to each one of us. He understands you. He knows your misery, helplessness, weakness, troubles, depression, fear, and anxiety. He will provide for you, save you, keep you, protect you, and bear you up in his almighty hands. Yes, Jesus Christ is in heaven, but he is also with us by his Spirit, and he will be with us even to the end of the age. So, arise, and take care of yourself, Mr. Aeneas! Be useful to God and to others. Begin to do good works and bring glory to God!"

Immediately, the text says, Aeneas got up. This was a miraculous demonstration of the glory of Jesus Christ, the eternal God.

The Glory of the Lord
What was the effect of this miracle? The gospel was spread even further. As we read in verse 35, "All those who lived in Lydda and Sharon saw [Aeneas] and turned to the Lord." The miracle of Aeneas' healing performed the greater miracle of saving many people from sin and Satan.

The gospel now was spreading from Lydda throughout Sharon. Sharon is the coastal plain which stretches north from Lydda several miles to Caesarea. Isaiah predicted a blessing on Sharon in Isaiah 35:1-3: "The desert and parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom. Like the crocus, it will burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy. The glory of Lebanon will be given to it, the splendor of Carmel and Sharon; they will see the glory of the Lord, the splendor of our God." And in Isaiah 65:10 we read, "Sharon will become a pasture for flocks, and the Valley of Achor a resting place for herds, for my people who seek me."

The Scriptures prophesied that Sharon would see the glory of the Lord, and here we see this prophecy fulfilled. When the people of Sharon saw Aeneas healed and strong, they turned to the Lord. Why? Because the healing of Aeneas pointed to Jesus Christ. Remember how the apostle Peter told Aeneas, "Jesus Christ heals you"? When the people looked at Aeneas, they recognized that the one who had healed him was not Peter but the almighty, all-powerful Lord Jesus Christ, the King of kings and Lord of lords, the true Savior of the world, and the only one who is able to deliver us from the shackles of sin and the dominion of Satan. When the people looked at Aeneas' miraculous healing, they saw the glory of the Lord and were saved.

In fact, the people of Sharon could not avoid seeing the completely healed Aeneas. No longer bedridden, he walked among them, working for the glory of God. No doubt he would see people and tell them, "Don't you remember how I was paralyzed and helpless for eight years? People had to do everything for me. Then one day Jesus sent his apostle Peter to my humble abode and I was instantly healed. Who healed me? Jesus Christ." And then he would say, "This Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. Don't look at me and wonder. Fix your eyes on Jesus Christ. It is concerning him that Gabriel said, 'I bring you good news of great joy to all the people. This day in the city of David is born a Savior who is Christ. He is the Lord God.' Don't look at me. Look at Jesus, the Savior, the Healer, the Prince of life, the Righteous One, the Holy One, the Lord of the universe. He is almighty to save."

As the people of Sharon saw Aeneas, they saw the glory of God and turned to the Lord Jesus Christ. The Greek word that is used is epestrepho3, which means total and complete turning. These people turned from their idols and turned to the Lord. They believed in Jesus Christ and became saints or disciples, those who learn of Jesus.

This is the reason Jesus sent out his apostles, as we read in Acts 26:18 and 20. In verse 18 Paul said he was sent to the Gentiles "to open their eyes and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in [Christ]." And in verse 20 he said, "I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds."

What was the result of Aeneas' miraculous healing? Satan was defeated, the gates of hell were picked up and removed, and the church marched on with great triumph. All the people in Lydda and Sharon saw Aeneas and turned to the Lord.

Peter's Ministry in Joppa

After Luke recorded Peter's ministry in Lydda, he wrote of Peter's ministry in Joppa. Joppa is a coastal town, mentioned first in the Bible in Joshua 19:46. Until Herod built a port in Caesarea, Israel had only one seaport--Joppa, or Jaffa--on the coastline from Egypt to Ptolemais. So we read about Hiram sending the wood for Solomon's temple from Lebanon to the port of Joppa, and Jonah going to Joppa to find a ship bound for Tarshish when he was avoiding God's command to go to Nineveh. Joppa was located ten miles northwest of Lydda. Today it is also a suburb of Tel Aviv.

We are told in Acts 9:36 that there was a young woman in Joppa named Tabitha. Tabitha was a disciple, meaning she had trusted in Jesus Christ and was learning of him. She probably came to Christ through the evangelistic ministry of Philip, as we read in Acts 8:40.

In the Greek the name "Tabitha" is "Dorcas," which means "gazelle," or "beautiful." This young girl was very beautiful, not only physically but also morally. The text tells us Tabitha was full of good works and almsgiving.

She probably was a single Christian woman of some means who distributed her wealth for the welfare of the poor, especially the poor widows of the church of Joppa, spending her time and resources making clothing for them. We read earlier in the book of Acts about the apostles being full of the Holy Ghost, full of faith, full of wisdom, and full of grace. Here we are told about someone who was full of good works and almsgiving.

Tabitha's good works demonstrated that her faith was saving faith, not temporal faith or the faith of the devil, that merely believes in the existence of God. James said, "Faith without works is dead," but Tabitha was full of good works. Those with temporal faith will have no good works. A believer who is truly regenerate is a new creation, created in Christ Jesus unto good works. A Christian who is disobedient to Jesus Christ is a contradiction in terms. If you are a converted person, you will be full of good works done in obedience to the Lord.

In fact, Tabitha was like the Thessalonians of whom Paul spoke when he said, "We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Thess. 1:3). This girl was fruitful. Tabitha was abiding in her master, the Lord Jesus Christ, and this passage tells us she was loaded with fruit.

Tabitha was not a lazy woman who lived only for pleasure. She was like the woman described in Proverbs 31:17 and 20 who "sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks," and "opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy."

Tabitha was a great blessing to the church of Joppa. She probably was not married, as we are not told of a husband, parents, or children. Like the four daughters of the evangelist Philip, Tabitha totally immersed herself in serving the Lord, spending and being spent for his service. In her desire to be rich toward God in good works, she invested her riches and her life in the kingdom of God. And I am sure she found complete and true happiness in her service to the Lord Jesus Christ.

The Death of Tabitha

Acts 9:37 tells us Tabitha became ill and died. This was a great loss to the church, and probably a great surprise. Let me tell you, we never know when we will die. Some of us may die even today or tomorrow. Death can come to any of us at any time. In the gospel accounts we read of the deaths of a twelve-year-old girl, of a young man who was the only son of a widow, and of Lazarus, brother of Mary and Martha. None of these were old people. The question we must ask is, are we ready to die today? Are we ready to meet the Lord, as the five wise virgins were?

We know Tabitha was ready to die. Like Paul, Tabitha would say, "To me to live is Christ and to die is gain." Like Paul, she desired to depart and be with Christ. Why do we know she was ready? She had lived to please the Lord and was rich in good works.

Tabitha died, but we are not told she was anointed and wrapped in clothes for burial. Instead, the disciples washed her body and put her in an upper room. Why? These saints in the church of Joppa had heard about the mighty ministry of the apostle Peter in the nearby town of Lydda and thought maybe God could perform a miracle for them as he had in Lydda. They wanted the apostle to come and comfort them, and were probably hoping he could raise Tabitha from the dead. So they sent two people to bring Peter from Lydda to Joppa.

When Jesus was told of the sickness of Lazarus, he stayed where he was a few more days and came to Bethany only after Lazarus' death and burial. But, unlike Jesus, Peter came immediately to Joppa and went to the upper room where he saw the widows who had benefited so much from Tabitha's labors. They were all weeping, and they said to Peter, "Look at all these clothes Tabitha made for us. She loved us and helped us so much, spending her time and money for us. We benefited so much from this sister, and now she is no longer with us. Peter, can you comfort us?" Peter sent all the people out of the room, closed the door and knelt to pray, alone with the dead body.

What do you think Peter was thinking as he prayed? I am sure he was remembering when he, together with the other apostles, was sent by the Lord Jesus Christ with authority to heal the sick and to raise the dead, as we read in Matthew 10.

I am sure he also remembered the miracle Jesus performed when he raised Jairus's daughter. The twelve-year-old girl had just died when Jesus came, so she was not washed, anointed or wrapped in clothes. Jesus came in and said to her, "Talitha, cumi!" meaning "My child, arise!" and she got up.

I am sure Peter also remembered the time Jesus and his disciples saw the body of the young man from Nain being taken outside the city for burial. This man was washed, anointed and wrapped in clothing, about to be buried. But Jesus said to the young man, "Young man, I say to you, get up!" and he got up.

No doubt Peter also remembered how Jesus came to the tomb of Lazarus on the fourth day after he was buried. Lazarus' body was decomposing by this time, but Jesus said, "Lazarus, come forth!" and Lazarus came forth, fully restored to life and health.

But Peter was also remembering a miracle greater than these others. Peter remembered how Jesus was crucified and buried, yet on the third day he rose from the dead. Jesus' body did not decay in the grave, but was transformed into a spiritual body. This was a miracle mightier than the splitting of the Red Sea. The resurrection of Jesus Christ demonstrates God's greatest power, as we read in Ephesians 1:19-20, " . . . his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength which he [God] exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms."

The Miraculous Resurrection of Dorcas
The door was closed, there was a dead body, and Peter was alone on his knees. But he was not really alone. Peter saw God Almighty and prayed to him. And the Spirit of God gave him the confidence that it was God's will to raise this young woman from the dead. So Peter turned, looked at the dead body and spoke to it: "Tabitha, cumi!" or "Tabitha, arise!" We are told that when Peter spoke, Tabitha opened her eyes, saw Peter and sat up. Peter gave her his hand, lifted her up, and she stood.

Oh, what a mighty God we serve! When Tabitha had died, her spirit had gone straight into the presence of God. But when Peter prayed and commanded her to get up, Tabitha's spirit was sent back from heaven. It instantly entered her body and she was alive again.

When Christians die, their spirits go to God. When Stephen was being stoned he said, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." Jesus Christ himself committed his spirit to God the Father before he died on the cross. To the thief who repented on the cross Jesus said, "Today you will be with me in paradise," and in Luke 16 we read that when the poor man Lazarus died, his spirit went to Abraham's bosom, which was the presence of God.

But in this instance Peter prayed, and God said to Tabitha's spirit, "I want you to go back into your body." The spirit obeyed, and Tabitha was made alive again.

Not All Are Healed
God had ordained both the healing of Aeneas and the resurrection of Tabitha. These amazing miracles were God's will. But we must realize that not all who are sick will be healed. You may want to say, "Well, Pastor, I would believe in Jesus Christ if you would heal someone or raise someone from the dead. If only I saw miracles like that, I could believe in Jesus Christ." But these things may not happen. We must believe in Jesus Christ because the Scriptures tell us to do so. Yes, the Scriptures declare that he is mighty God who performs wonderful miracles. But these things are written for our admonition and education so that we may hear these things and believe in Jesus Christ through the testimony of the Scriptures.

Not only that, if people today claim that they are healing everyone and raising the dead, I challenge them to prove their claims. God may heal and raise the dead by his own sovereign determination, even today, but he does not heal everyone. Even Elisha, who received a double portion of Elijah's spirit, fell sick and died. It is appointed for all men once to die and then comes the judgment.

In God's will Tabitha came back to life so that she could continue to serve the saints of the church. Others, like Stephen and James, were not resuscitated when they died. That is the mystery of God's sovereignty.

However, we must understand one other thing: Saving a sinner from his sins is a far greater miracle than resuscitating a person from the dead. It is for that singular purpose that God the Father sent Jesus Christ to die on the cross. And no matter when we die, there will come a day when he shall raise us all up and grant us spiritual bodies so that we can stand before him in his presence.

What was the result of bringing Tabitha to life again? The text tells us "many people believed in the Lord." This is the greatest miracle. The eyes of many were opened. They were delivered from the power and slavery of Satan and brought into the kingdom of God.

Do you need power to live a victorious life? Then believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved. Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. He will save you, deliver you, and give you the power to resist temptation. If you claim to be a Christian but don't live a victorious life, it is an affront to the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ truly saves his people from the dominion of sin.

Through the healing of Aeneas and resurrection of Tabitha, many people were delivered from the power and slavery of Satan. The gates of hell were destroyed and Jesus Christ marched on triumphantly, saving all who had been ordained to eternal salvation.

Death and Christians
Before I conclude, let me say a few words about the death of a Christian. We must think of these things, because we are all going to die, sooner or later, if the Lord tarries.

What does God say about the death of believers? In Psalm 116:15 we read, "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints." We think death is a loss but Paul said it is gain. Why do we think death is a loss? Because we are still trusting in the temporal world. We think real life is life here and now in the visible world. But God said, "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints," and in Psalm 23:4 David wrote, "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

We see a wonderful picture of the death of a believer in Luke 16:22. When the poor, miserable Lazarus died, his spirit was carried by angels to the bosom of Abraham where he received great comfort from the Father. There is great comfort and joy in the presence of the Lord. And in Revelation 14:13 we read that heaven is also a place of great rest, "Then I heard a voice from heaven say, 'Write: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.' 'Yes,' says the Spirit, 'they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them.'"

Are you ready to die in the Lord? In Luke 16 we read about another man who died--a rich man, but an unbelieving man. When he died, his spirit went straight into hell where he suffered agonizing torment in the fire of hell. While the saint was being comforted by God, the unbeliever was suffering. These are the realities we all will face. What better incentive to ensure that we are trusting in Christ for our salvation?

The Ministry of Jesus Christ Today
The Lord Jesus Christ raised the dead and healed the sick through the apostle Peter, and that is still his ministry today. There is no greater healing than saving people from their sins, and no greater resurrection than regenerating those who are dead in trespasses and sins. Even today the blind see, the dead are raised, and many people are turning their eyes to the Lord Jesus Christ, trusting in him, and being redeemed by his precious blood. Jesus Christ sets the captives of Satan free and gives them power over sin so that they can live holy lives unto him.

Therefore, let me ask you again: Are you prepared to die? Do you know that if you died today, you would go into the presence of the Lord as the poor beggar Lazarus did? If you do not know that, I urge you to repent and believe on this Lord Jesus Christ who performed these mighty miracles. He is saying to you today, "I am God, I am man, and I am able and mighty to save you." The Bible promises that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved.

And if you are already a Christian, let me challenge you to be like Tabitha, a person full of good works. This woman's purpose in life was to please God and others rather than herself, and she found great joy and fulfillment in doing that. Not only that, she was ready to die at any time, having made her desire to please God in every aspect of her life. May God give you wisdom and grace to live likewise for the glory of God, and to fill your life with good works. Amen.

Copyright © 1998, P. G. Mathew

All scripture quotations, unless otherwise indicated, are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® (1984 version). Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.™ Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved worldwide. www.zondervan.com The "NIV" and "New International Version" are trademarks registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office by Biblica, Inc.™

http://www.gracevalley.org/sermon_trans/1998/Peter_Raises_the_Dead.html
Back to top Go down
http://sowthepower.blogspot.com/

Peter Raises the Dead
Page 1 of 1